Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that occurs with the inflammation of the joints of the different parts of the body along with severe pain as one advance towards aging. Prolonged suffering leads to permanent damage to the joints leading to crippling and disability of the body. Other symptoms include mild fever, weakness, fatigue and small nodule like lumps are formed under the skin. About 1.5 millions of people in US are affected by this disease, women being more prone to RA. This disease not only affects the joints but also different organs of the body.
The genetic factor plays an important role in this Rheumatoid Arthritis. The exact cause of this disease is unknown, but the immune system of the body is held responsible for this. Antibodies present in the blood fight against the foreign bodies attacking the immunity of the body, but the patients with auto immune diseases have high level of special antibodies (Rheumatoid Factor) in their blood attacking the tissue and organs leading to the inflammation. With aging production of estrogen is retarded in women making the bones weak, fragile and more prone to Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).
Although no exact cure can be devised for Rheumatoid Arthritis, but some natural cures or alternative medicines has been able to provide relief to the patients.
1. Fish are the source of omega-3-fatty acids which produce good results when taken. But fish oil capsules are better options if taken in controlled doses.
2. Gamma linolenic acid present in borage oil, black currant seed oil and evening primrose oils have proven results in improving the painful symptoms.
3. Boswellic acid available from Boswellia herb blocks chemical reactions leading to inflammation. It is also effective in reducing other types of inflammation.
4. Devil's Claw, a native herb from South Africa contains iridoid glycosides and helps in treating rheumatoid arthritis.
5. Deep breathing exercises, meditation, Tai chi are the various natural methods to reduce stress helping in the cure of rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Age old Chinese treatment acupuncture is also found to be very effective in its treatment.
7. Hot and cold water treatment provides temporary relief to the rheumatoid joint aches.
8. Taking tomatoes in raw form or as juice is a good treatment for RA.
9. A mixture of dry ginger, black pepper a rock salt about 3 grams if taken with honey provides relief from pain.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is very painful and distressing, still by eating healthy and balanced diet and cutting down intake of tea, coffee, liquors, white sugar, the severity can be reduced to a great extent enabling the patient to carry out normal activities of life.